Based on our beliefs that our students can learn from a multitude of ways, we try to include activities throughout the year that allow them to have out-of-the-classroom experiences to get a well rounded education.
In the Elementary, Middle and Upper Schools, field trips are a high priority throughout the school year. These trips include everything from a trip to the local library that will only take an hour or so, all the way up to longer trips to places such as New York City.
We also highlight some of the calendar holidays, such as Halloween, Thanksgiving and St. Patrick’s Day. For example, every Halloween we allow the students to show off their creativity by wearing costumes and holding activities in the afternoon. On the other two days, we will often have a catered lunch to include more authentic styles food rather than just the “traditional” foods we have become accustomed to. We also celebrate Pi Day, culminating in a pie eating contest for the Middle and Upper School students.
In the last two years, we have added many events to our calendar that include:
- Ring Dance for the Upper School, highlighting the Junior class receiving their class rings.
- Can Do Night: A time for the students to be able to show what they “can do” as well as gives them an opportunity to give back to their community by charging a can of food for the admission price
- Spirit Week: The week prior to Spring Break to give the students a chance to “play dress up” and show their creative sides.
- Beyond the Walls: A week long across curriculum field trip to experience life outside of Lynchburg and to give the students a chance to hang out together outside of school
- Grandparent’s Day: A day to celebrate the relationship between generations and to show off the student’s talents.
- Read Across America Day: A celebration of Dr. Seuss’ birthday and the joy of reading.
The Special Events Committee is always open to suggestions to help give our students a multidimensional school year. As a parent or student, if you have any suggestions please call: (434) 846-0301.